Tuesday 7 February 2012

Week 4 Thoughts

The first hour of the class on February 2nd was a guest speaker, Glen Farrelly who was a Geosocial Networking expert.
The way he explained Geocoding, Geotagging and Geosocial media was really interesting. I have always been a fan of Foursquare, Twitter and Google Latitude. One major player he mentioned that I do not use is Flickr. I hope to start using it eventually and see its cool features. However, I do use Foursquare daily because it excites me checking into venues and beings days closer to mayorship. I can say that I have over 1000 checkins on Foursquare yet only 3 mayorships since they are easy to loose. I did once have 10 mayorships and received a special badge for holding down that many mayorships, which I found cool. With Foursquare, I like how one receives badges after a certain amount of checkins to a certain venue such as coffee shops or movie theatres. 

Glen's presentation was about certain Geosocial technology, outcomes of Geosocial Networking, concerns and recommendations. My favorite aspect of his whole presentation was the outcomes. The three he mentioned were social coordination and cohesion, identity protection and giving voice. In society, social cohesion is used as bonding. For example,  once the Haiti earthquake happened,  geosocial networking coordinated relief efforts and news for the public.

Geosocial Networking is a hybrid space. It forms new relationships, collective experiences of others and recommendations.
The downside is that you approach the world providing an experience of others. The example Glen mentioned in class was totally true. If you go into a coffee shop you have never been before, you are going to think positive things, but once you check in via Foursquare and see the negative reviews (if there are any), your experience will change, which will shape your experience of that coffee shop. I tend to read the negative reviews on Foursquare of venues I go too but it does not really shape my experience. If I like the place, I will go there again despite what people think. 

I found his talk really interesting and hope to study more about this topic in the future !


No comments:

Post a Comment