Friday 3 February 2012

Social Media Map Thoughts

I am currently taking a course on Social Networking, which is a topic that I would like to further study in graduate school and pursue a professional career in. We were assigned an interesting yet challenging assignment illustrating and/or describing what our personal social network would look like.
It took me a couple hours just to reflect on what my social network looked like, who was in my network and why was my network is the way it is. I found it really interesting because it's something that I have never thought of before and it gave me a good outlook on my relationships with my friends, family, acquaintances and interests in life.
I define Social Networking as encompassing many Internet tools that make it easier for individuals to engage and interact with others. It is a conceptualized structure that allows for individuals to form relationships and build communities by sharing connections through interests, patterns, concerns, and activities. I related this definition to my own personal networks and thought that it represented me quite clearly. I use a lot of Social Networking websites such as Facebook, Email, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Tumblr, which are the ones I am most comfortable with and some sites like Blogger and Google Plus, which I am not that comfortable with since I'm not familiar with what it has to offer. However, this gives me a great opportunity to spend some time with the site and see what it's all about, which is exciting.
I concluded that my personal networks that I interact with the most on a daily basis require me to use more than one social networking site since it helps me to communicate more effectively and have a greater impact with them.
Using social networking sites to communicate with my networks leaves me with three aspects of life that I continuously develop: friendship, kinship, and community. These social networking sites are useful since they allow me to share activities, events, and interests within my personal network, which represents my personal brand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment